Re: [Manycouches] Remote presenters for HotRFC in Vancouver? (was: Re: Side meetings in a virtual IETF meeting ?)

My impression is that the main goal presently is to put in place a good enough 'Plan B' (B for Business) that can handle between 50 and  100 percent of attendees participating remotely. Otherwise, there's a significant contingency of outright 'Plan C' (C for Cancelled) due to events outside of organizer's hands.

Roughly speaking, I suggest to define "good enough" as meaning that, categorizing WG issues and drafting to be resolved as Critical / Important / Desireable, that all of the Critical issues/drafts get resolved or significantly advanced notwithstanding the limitations of the Plan B, and that Important and Desireable matters get advanced as well as can be done under the circumstances.

Other international events like trade and promotional shows can cancel or postpone without consequence beyond financial and marketing disruption.

The work of the IETF dynamically supports global critical infrastructure, and I see no reason why there cannot be a reasonably complete Plan B described and resourced in the next two weeks. https://etherpad.ietf.org:9009/p/ManyCouches

Joseph Potvin
Executive Director, Xalgorithms Foundation
Mobile: 819-593-5983
jpotvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://www.xalgorithms.org

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 9:01 PM Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hiya,

On 05/03/2020 01:40, Michael Richardson wrote:
> The goal

I suggest we may have more than one goal. Even one
person may have multiple conflicting goals at the same
time. (I know I do:-)

> here is not to eliminate all meetings, nor is it to support people
> who can NEVER come to a meeting.

I disagree with that last. I do believe the IETF would
be better, the better we support properly eliciting and
processing useful input from people who can never come
to a f2f meeting.

(It could be that your phrase "the goal here" did not
refer to the goals of the manycouches list, but rather to
a singular point you were making, in which case, sorry
for being dense, my excuse being variance in transatlantic
terminological traits;-)

> The goal is to reduce the number of
> meetings we *have* to have,

That is another, different but also fine, goal.

S.