Re: Remote presenters for HotRFC in Vancouver? (was: Re: Side meetings in a virtual IETF meeting ?)

Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > HotRFC and Petchakutcha are the two most simple "side meetings" to offer
    > remotely because of their unidirectional format. My original ask on the
    > subject line was about all side meetings, especially other inofficial ones,
    > and my minimum ask was just about change in policy, use of meetecho
    > would be even better but understood to be limited by working hours of
    > volunteers.

When you are talking about making an event entirely virtual, you need to ask
yourself if a PetchaKucha to an empty room would be interesting.

I would submit that it would simply not work.
You need the interaction with the audience, if only to see whether the joke
is going the right way or not.

So PHB's point about HotRFC remains.
I want to soften it slightly:  being able to go up to the person afterwards
and chat is the reason it works in person.  That fails for remote presenters,
and for remote audience, and therefore Youtube would be as good.

As for Poster sessions being not attended:  the posters are supposed to be
along the *BANK* line to the beer.  Just like how Fry's Electronics gets you
to buy some more USB sticks, or a few bags of chips.

If you know me, then you know that I have done a *LOT* of IETFs remotely,
including going back to mbone stuff, unicast MP3 streams, etc.
I bitch regularly about slides that aren't available ahead of time.

My problem is with trying to bring in-person interaction to remote
attendees. It results in a really poor remote-interaction, and really poor
in-person interaction.

Either have an in-person meeting, or have a virtual meeting where everyone is
remote (and dammit: you can all afford $80 gamer headsets, and use external
USB adapters).  Just don't try to mix things up.

Meetecho for a group of people who are mostly in the room, and where have
good mic line discipline can work.  But there is an awful lot of work that
can't get done in that format (having nothing to with remote attendees).
That's why we have side meetings or BarBOFs, where we can have a group of 6
to 10 people hash some difficult thing out.  We NEED the non-verbal queues to
have a good conversation, and trying to talk to someone's iPAD just won't cut
it. Sorry.

The goal here is not to eliminate all meetings, nor is it to support people
who can NEVER come to a meeting.  The goal is to reduce the number of
meetings we *have* to have, and to MAXIMIZE how much we do when we do gather.
Is the BarBOF the only way to bring new work to the IETF?  No.
Is it a good way to meet other people who might be able to help?
Yes, but it's not the only way.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-