Re: Side meetings in a virtual IETF meeting ?

Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I think this was not discussed yet:
    > Side meetings are an important part of travelling to IETF, and
    > so far i think i have not seen any suggestions how IETF would/could
    > support side meetings if we where going virtual only.

    > Even if/when we do have a physical meeting, then there is a physical
    > room option for side meetings, but no official IETF option to have
    > a virtual conference.

{gratutious incompatible product name removed}

We've have experienced that rooms that are meeting rooms might have working
meetecho, but the problem is that we don't have any meetecho supervision at
the time.

I continue to think that BarBOFs should happen in a bar, and that the side
meeting phenomenon with remote participation is the result of over-scheduling
of participants.

If you want to have a virtual BOF, then have one, just don't try to cram it
into the week.  If you want to make use of high-bandwidth in-person
discussion to make a small design team work better, then do that, but don't
pretend that remote participants can really participate in such a thing.
Take good minutes, and run decisions by the group.

Conferencing systems are widely available for a variety of prices (including
gratis, having no SLA).

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-