Re: Quality of Directorate reviews

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    >>> Seems like ADs already have a fair amount of discretion to ask for
    >>> multiple in-depth reviewers vs. getting minimal review.   If having a
    >>> human make such decisions isn't your idea of an appropriate
    >>> "structure", I'd be curious to know what is.
    >>>
    >> The issue is that is only so much senior security clue to go around.
    >> There is a non-trivial amount of effort for an-out-area reviewer to
    >> spin up enough understanding about what a WG is doing.  There are a
    >> lot of documents that simply allocate a new attribute from an existing
    >> registry and then use it for something.  Determining if this has a
    >> trivial or non-trivial security impact can be difficult.  If it turns
    >> out to be trivial, then we've wasted the reviewers time (opportunity
    >> cost).  If it turns out not to be trivial (and the reviewer missed
    >> that), then if we are lucky, we catch it at IESG time, and then it
    >> might be a year later.

    > I don't disagree with any of the above.  And yet, I don't see how it's
    > responding to either of the above replies.

The current system assigns the review prior to the AD determining if they
need an in-depth review or not.  So if we assign a senior (security) reviewer
to a document that didn't need in-depth senior experience, then that person
is unavailable (within the quantum of review assignment period) for the AD to
assign them to do something more in-depth.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-