Re: tone policing

On 9/2/19 10:25 PM, Adam Roach wrote:

On 9/2/19 8:55 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
Rather I think we need to try harder to understand those whose "tone" is harder to deal with, because quite often those people are the ones who have rare and valuable insight.

There's an increasing recognition within the software development industry that extremely smart people who are rough around the edges in the way you describe ultimately cause more harm to an organization than their contributions help.

I think we're talking about very different kinds of people here, though of course it's hard to tell because "tone" is so vague.

I've seen evidence of such increasing "recognition" too, at least in the form of articles on LinkedIn.  One of the things that disturbs me about such article is that there is often a chorus of response that are somewhat of the form "yes, smart people really do get in the way, and we need to get rid of them".   But there's a lot of difference between "smart people" and "people whose tone someone doesn't like" so I don't think it's appropriate to lump them in the same pile.

But because it may be the case that some people are thinking of "smart people", as people who use inappropriate "tone", I would like to drill down a bit further:

I don't think the issue is intelligence, mostly.  I think the issue is whether someone can see things from multiple points of view and is capable of compromise.   There are intelligent people are are good at those things.   And there are intelligent people who simply cannot see things from any other point of view and for whom no compromise will ever be acceptable.   So I think intelligence and ability to work toward compromise are orthogonal.

There are some rather famous examples of the latter kind of person, who have made extremely valuable contributions to networking and/or computer science.   But offhand I can't think of any who have been successful in a consensus-based standards organization.  I suspect that an intelligent person who can see things from multiple points of view and is willing to work toward seeing how to build a compromise can still be successful in IETF - or at least could do well in the IETF of several years ago (not sure about today).   On the other hand, someone who couldn't see the merits in other points of view and/or wasn't willing to compromise, probably wouldn't have ever felt successful or useful in IETF, and probably abandoned trying to work here fairly quickly.   So in summary, I don't think IETF has had too many problems with the kind of intelligent person who can't compromise.

But there is yet another phenomenon that is part of this picture, which is that some people are hostile to and prejudiced against people who are intelligent.   And culturally speaking, at least in the US (can't speak for elsewhere), there has been a widespread backlash against intelligent people.   This has certainly had a profound effect on US politics, at least.  Looking at the spate of articles (such as those you cited) of the form "intelligent people bad", it's hard to not wonder if that's part of the same trend.

In case it's not clear, I don't think that prejudice against intelligent people, or against people with different views (who might or might not be more intelligent than average) has any place in IETF, and I hope you're not suggesting that it does.   Quite the contrary, IETF decision-making needs to be informed by a wide variety of views, and emphatically not (for example) just the views or large corporations that are trying to own a piece of the "market".   IETF needs outliers (whether or not they're highly intelligent).

When you dig into the rationale, a lot of this thinking translates directly to standards development. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=toxic+rockstar+programmers> for a nearly infinite number of articles that go into why these people need -- for the sake of the organization -- to either learn to contribute in a non-toxic fashion, or be shown the door.

Again, we really need to drill down past vague words like "toxic".  Quite honestly, I find your words in the subject message toxic, but I don't think your contributions should be censored for that reason.

Keith