Re: SAA Do's and Don'ts

On 9/2/19 1:08 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
> At the same time, I emphatically object to "tone policing" by the SAA or
> other IETF leadership as being both arbitrary and counterproductive to
> IETF's purpose, and consider it an abuse of power when it happens.

I don't agree with this, as you might have guessed.  The term
"tone policing" has been used throughout these discussions in
a manner inconsistent with the intent of its creators at Geek
Feminism.  The problem that they were trying to address is that
people who've been on the receiving end of bullying, harassment,
and so on are often told that they're being emotional when they
talk about it, and can be dismissed on that basis.  It was
emphatically not intended to protect bullies, harassers, and so
on, and I don't think it's appropriate to use it to lift
harsh language in IETF discussions above criticism.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore
melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx