Re: tone policing

On 9/2/19 8:55 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
Rather I think we need to try harder to understand those whose "tone" is harder to deal with, because quite often those people are the ones who have rare and valuable insight.

There's an increasing recognition within the software development industry that extremely smart people who are rough around the edges in the way you describe ultimately cause more harm to an organization than their contributions help. When you dig into the rationale, a lot of this thinking translates directly to standards development. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=toxic+rockstar+programmers> for a nearly infinite number of articles that go into why these people need -- for the sake of the organization -- to either learn to contribute in a non-toxic fashion, or be shown the door.

/a