Re: Forming and confirming consensus (was: Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melinda Shore" <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2019 8:00 PM

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019, 14:49 John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps it is time to change those rules but, if so, let's do it
> > explicitly rather than silently drifting from "determined and
> > confirmed in the mailing list" toward "determined in a meeting"
> > followed by pro forma mailing list confirmation.
> >

> Hear, hear.  I feel very strongly about this, and its clear ties to
the
> discussion of meeting modalities.  It seems that we've got a number of
> threads converging on the possible need for a major reexamination of
how
> the IETF accomplishes our work.  We tend to do poorly at this kind of
navel
> gazing but it may be time.

And while this discussion has been largely about meetings and their
utility, my perception is that most of the work of the IETF takes place
on mailing lists and so if we want to work better, smarter or whatever,
then a small improvement on the work done on mailing lists would do more
for us than a big improvement for the work done in meetings.

And here I am thinking of what WG Chairs do or do not do.  Before
adoption, the work gets driven by the authors of an I-D; after WG Last
Call, the work gets driven by the AD; in between, it is up to the WG
Chairs and it is there that I think there is most scope for changing
whatever it is we want to change, be it reducing mistakes, speeding up
the process or whatever.

Tom Petch