Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On 29 Jul 2019, at 22:30, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

The IETF rule is still that consensus is established on the mailing list, so it's clear that what happens on GitHub is not definitive - it's just a tool, which we can use for convenience as long as it remains convenient.

A git repo is IMO useful for many things in IETF/IRTF work processes (version control, collaborative editing, project directory synchronization, issue tracking etc.). In the groups I am co-chairing, I haven’t used GitHub.com as much as we possibly could have, because we didn’t want to introduce too many dependencies on IETF-external platforms.

If we think it’s generally useful (I think it is), should we consider including a self-maintained gitlab server in the tools collections (and use the data tracker login for that)?

Dirk

Regards
   Brian