Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

My experience is very much the opposite. It's easy to lose a bit of feedback in a tumult of e-mail; threads don't have any formal closure unless you impose an unrealistic amount of structure onto mailing list discussions.

In contrast, using an issues list forces you to make a deliberate decision about the fate of a particular bit of feedback; if the person raising it disagrees with the disposition of the issue, they can complain there, to the mailing list, or to the chairs directly.

In other words - issues have explicit states ("open", "closed"), owners, and tags ("editorial", "design"). In practice that I've seen, this means that issues get more scrutiny, and there is more accountability -- not less.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/