Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019, at 03:07, Dirk Kutscher wrote:
> a non-github git platform that can be self-hosted and that people use productively

The reasons to use GitHub aren't limited to hosting of git repositories.

Foremost is the low friction for contributions, which is made possible by having a large, existing community of people with accounts and knowledge of the system.  There are also other advantages, like support for continuous integration services.

This isn't to say that other services aren't useful, and I wouldn't dare suggest that other people can't use those tools, but they are not sufficient for my ends.  Even if significant investment of time and money bring another service up to the same level of quality, a community can't be bought in the same way.  So, v6 or not, I'll stick with GitHub.