Re: Forming and confirming consensus

On 8/3/19 3:00 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019, 14:49 John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Perhaps it is time to change those rules but, if so, let's do it
explicitly rather than silently drifting from "determined and
confirmed in the mailing list" toward "determined in a meeting"
followed by pro forma mailing list confirmation.

Hear, hear.  I feel very strongly about this, and its clear ties to the discussion of meeting modalities.  It seems that we've got a number of threads converging on the possible need for a major reexamination of how the IETF accomplishes our work.  We tend to do poorly at this kind of navel gazing but it may be time.

Perhaps related to this, I'm really bothered by what seems like an increasingly widespread belief that WGs should be able to do whatever they want, use any tools they want, etc., no matter how this affects process or openness.    So I think having a community-wide re-examination of how we do our work might be useful at either tweaking existing practice or re-affirming it, as appropriate.

(of course, it could also be an invitation to second-system effect, but we can't let that scare us.)

I also think we could stand to look at other aspects of how we do our work, such as how we use email, how we conduct face-to-face meetings, etc.

Keith