Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:51 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I believe your statement of intent.  But I think it's fair to realize
> > that there is already tremendous pressure to deploy implementations
> > before they've been formally approved, and there's a danger that any
> > kind of distinguished "mark" will have the (unintended) effect of
> > promoting deployment of the marked version of a protocol.
>
> regardless of 'published or not' folk will always push for the early
> implementation of FOO before it has been 'ratified'.
> it's pretty clear that this happens, and that nothing about this
> discussion is going to change that.

*I* think that we really want early implementations of FOO before it
has been ratified - without this we don't have the "running code" part
of "rough consensus and running code.
I think the trouble comes in when there are *deployments* of FOO
before it has been ratified....

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf