Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

Responding here both to Job and to Chris Morrow.

There is indeed an argument that operational guidance has the dual properties of
1) needing to be out promptly
2) changing over time as the operational environment changes.

I do realize that Job's initial motivation for this was specifically operational. But most of the discussion has not seemed to be restricted to that. I do know that various people have asked for much more dynamic protocol specs. And some of the examples cited have been protocol specs. That is what makes me nervous.

If the focus is operational documents, there ought to be a way to do something, and it ought to be worth a try. Finding ways for the IETF to be more useful to operators, and for operators to be able to participate in a fashion taht is more eff3ective for what they need, does seem valuable. And with the restriction, many of my concerns do not apply. (We do, for example, allow the contents of a BCP to change even though the underlying individual RFCs are immutable. While this is aimed to be much faster, it seems related.)

Yours,
Joel