Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 20:06 Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/18/19 7:19 PM, john heasley wrote:

> Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 09:04:17PM -0400, Keith Moore:
>> I could see some utility in having some documents being able to be
>> updated in place.  But I would have serious concerns with document
>> content like RFC7525 (i.e. technical recommendations for implementation
>> and/or operation of protocols) approved without IETF consensus.  It is
>> essentially part of a protocol specification.  So a WG should not be
>> able to "publish" such a document, nor approve it based entirely on its
>> own consensus. That would not only bypass IETF consensus (and cross-area
>> review), it would effectively bypass appeals and other safeguards we
>> have in place.
> Since no one is excluded from participating in any WG, anyone can comment or
> object to any such document.

WG-only review has been demonstrated over and over again, for literally
decades, to be woefully insufficient.   There's far too little wide
review with the current process, and you're proposing to make it worse.

I think you just now offended basically every working group participant.

Regards,

Job