Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On 7/20/19 8:11 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:

I really should have communicated what*I*  thought a marking would be
intending to convey; I did want others to be able to use this proposal
to other use cases, but I really really don't think that it should
ever imply that "a piece of its work as ready to go without review and
validation by the rest of the IETF."

I believe your statement of intent.  But I think it's fair to realize that there is already tremendous pressure to deploy implementations before they've been formally approved, and there's a danger that any kind of distinguished "mark" will have the (unintended) effect of promoting deployment of the marked version of a protocol.

It also appears that there are people in IETF who want WGs to be able to approve work without community-wide review.   For some isolated instances such power might even be appropriate, but knowing where to draw the line might be tricky.

So this effort might carry with it more risks than were initially apparent, and a great deal of caution seems warranted.

Keith