Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

> On Jul 19, 2019, at 3:15 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Yes but I want a standard for comparison: how long does RIPE take? I have never been involved in that side of RIPE, so I have no idea whether they manage it in weeks, months or years. What is a realistic target?
>
> If we want to fast-track Rapid Operational Advice Documents*, I don't believe it will be done via the RFC process.
>
> *Oh look, I made you an acronym, although we have used it before.

I think one of the issues here is venue shopping.  IETF actually has decent tools to look at the history of a document and to publish a new one regularly as advice changes.

If I wanted to make draft-mauch-ops-recommendations I could do that today, put source in GitHub and hit version 99 before the end of the day.  That’s either good or bad depending on your view of things, but if it makes sense it can go to one or more tracks and be available for the coming years to anyone who wants or needs it.

On the operator side of things there are so many conferences be them network operator (RIPE, NANOG, NLNOG, AUSNOG, BOSNOG), dns operator (DNS-OARC), etc.. it really depends on who you are trying to reach and in what language the messages are in as well.  I’m lucky in that I was born in an English speaking country and the document languages are in English as well.

- Jared