Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On 7/19/19 6:55 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:

On Jul 19, 2019, at 6:17 AM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I also see no reason to have a presumption, for example, that a WG is "right" in a matter that is outside of its subject area.

I agree.   However, we’ve been trying to improve our cross-area review diversity since I was on the IESG, and probably since you were, and it’s not clear to me that there’s a lot more win to be had here.  Where we do succeed, I think it’s because we’re able to rope experts in to the working group.

I've noticed the effort to improve cross-area review.  I can't tell yet how effective it is, but I'm pleased to see the effort being made.

The IETF last call process doesn’t work well.

I agree.   Last Call is mostly useful for problems that are easy to fix, and uncontroversial.   That seems to be a tiny fraction of the problems that still exist by that time.

It's long seemed to me that the points at which IETF manages to get some broad review on an idea or proposal are at the BOFs that precede WG formation, and Last Call.   These also seem like the times at which broad review is least likely to be effective (unless, as is sometimes the case, the WG starts with a document that it believes is already a mature proposal).

The best time period for broad review seems to be after a fairly complete proposal exists, but before there's a lot of investment in it.  The WG is more receptive (less exhausted) at that point, and changes made as a result of such feedback are less likely to be disruptive.

That’s why I think this is a bit of a non-sequitur to the “living documents” discussion.  Yes, this is a problem, and we should be careful not to make it worse.  But I really don’t think it’s the case that the people who have organized this meeting are unaware of the issue.

One reason I'm interested is that I'm intrigued by the potential for "living documents" to facilitate earlier broad review of WG proposals.   I think use of LDs has the potential to get feedback to the WG sooner, and also track how the WG responds to such feedback.   I can imagine a day when the most external reviews come in response to "First Call" or "Second Call", rather than Last Call, and the IESG final review consists largely of looking at how the WG and authors responded to the earlier calls for feedback, and whether the document has changed in such a way as to present new issues not previously identified.    Ideally the responsible AD will have been tracking such feedback and responses all along.

Another reason I'm interested in LDs is that some people seem to want to use them as a way to bypass community-wide review.   There may be cases for which bypassing such review is Mostly Harmless, but offhand I don't see a way to draw a clear line between Mostly Harmless and Potentially Harmful.

So I see both a potential for positive change, and a danger of negative change.   I don't know how aware the people who have organized the meeting are of these potentials, though I expect that they're at least somewhat aware.   Mostly I've been responding to opinions expressed on the list.

Keith