Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On Jul 19, 2019, at 6:17 AM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I also see no reason to have a presumption, for example, that a WG is "right" in a matter that is outside of its subject area.

I agree.   However, we’ve been trying to improve our cross-area review diversity since I was on the IESG, and probably since you were, and it’s not clear to me that there’s a lot more win to be had here.  Where we do succeed, I think it’s because we’re able to rope experts in to the working group.   The IETF last call process doesn’t work well.   The directorates are good, but not always sufficient, and review quality is widely variable, although frequently very good.

That’s why I think this is a bit of a non-sequitur to the “living documents” discussion.  Yes, this is a problem, and we should be careful not to make it worse.  But I really don’t think it’s the case that the people who have organized this meeting are unaware of the issue.