Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Spencer Dawkins at IETF" <spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 12:28 AM

https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/104/newcomers/

> > >  >> and

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-edu-sesse-
newcomers-overview-for-ietf-104-00
> > >  >>
> > >  >> Mostly, it not the newcomers that need help being nice to
> > newcomers.
> > >  >> They need training on having appropriately thick skins.
> > >
> > > Please read the 3rd paragraph at
> > >  > https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/starting/
If
> > you
> > >  > think that summary (which I drafted some years ago) is
wrong,
> > somebody
> > >  > in the EMO directorate can presumably get it updated.
> > >
> > > This paragraph:
> > >
> > > } The IETF is normally very welcoming to newcomers, and tolerance
is the
> > > } rule. The technical level is quite high, so if you write
something
> > that turns
> > > } out to be wrong, you may get some quite frank replies. Or
sometimes
> > you will
> > > } get a reply from someone whose first language is not English,
and they
> > can be
> > > } rude without intending it. (If someone is seriously offensive,
the WG
> > Chairs
> > > } are supposed to deal with it.) Don't be discouraged; everybody
started
> > as a
> > > } newcomer.
> > >
> > > Some examples might be worthwhile.
> >
> > True, but that particular text was intended to be concise enough
that
> > people would be likely to read it through. In a longer version,
examples
> > would certainly be good. The "lost in translation" problem is real,
but
> > it's not the whole story of course.
> >
> > > For example: "Je demande" in french is properly translated as "I
ask",
> > but
> > > it could be translated literally as "I demand", which is
significantly more
> > > hostile.
> >
> > You have reason. (Tu a raison.) But looking at the above quote, I
can see
> > that the difference between "frank" and "rude" is very subjective. I
think
> > we all agree that if someone is factually or technically wrong in an
> > engineering discussion, it's necessary to say so. But how to do so
> > is a complicated question.
>
> I'm not sure how specific this discussion is intended to be, but I
just
> finished about six years of balloting on documents in IESG Evaluation.
>
> What seemed helpful was to phrase my concerns and disagreements as
> questions ("but how does that approach handle this edge case?"),
rather
> than as statements ("that approach doesn't handle this edge case").

Spencer

Interesting.

I have gone in the opposite direction, seeing, in my Western culture, a
question as always being at least pushy and sometimes somewhat
aggressive so I seek to make statements instead.  But at the same time,
I seek to qualify them so I would only say
'That approach does not handle this case'
if I can quote chapter and verse e.g.
'because it is in contravention of section 15.3 of RFC57xx'
If I cannot give such supporting evidence, then I tend to say
'I think that ...'
leaving it open - hopefully - for others to feel comfortable taking a
different stance.

Either way, I ask far fewer questions that I did twenty years ago

Tom Petch