Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

On 29-Mar-19 03:30, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     >> > We offer newcomer's training on Sunday, and the same presentation a
>     >> > couple of times the weeks before the IETF.  Are there other things >
>     >> we could do? See https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/104/newcomers/ >
>     >> and
>     >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-edu-sesse-newcomers-overview-for-ietf-104-00
>     >>
>     >> Mostly, it not the newcomers that need help being nice to newcomers.
>     >> They need training on having appropriately thick skins.
>
>     > Please read the 3rd paragraph at
>     > https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/starting/ If you
>     > think that summary (which I drafted some years ago) is wrong, somebody
>     > in the EMO directorate can presumably get it updated.
>
> This paragraph:
>
> } The IETF is normally very welcoming to newcomers, and tolerance is the
> } rule. The technical level is quite high, so if you write something that turns
> } out to be wrong, you may get some quite frank replies. Or sometimes you will
> } get a reply from someone whose first language is not English, and they can be
> } rude without intending it. (If someone is seriously offensive, the WG Chairs
> } are supposed to deal with it.) Don't be discouraged; everybody started as a
> } newcomer.
>
> Some examples might be worthwhile.

True, but that particular text was intended to be concise enough that
people would be likely to read it through. In a longer version, examples
would certainly be good. The "lost in translation" problem is real, but
it's not the whole story of course.

> For example: "Je demande" in french is properly translated as "I ask", but
> it could be translated literally as "I demand", which is significantly more
> hostile.

You have reason. (Tu a raison.) But looking at the above quote, I can see
that the difference between "frank" and "rude" is very subjective. I think
we all agree that if someone is factually or technically wrong in an
engineering discussion, it's necessary to say so. But how to do so
is a complicated question.

    Brian