Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> > We offer newcomer's training on Sunday, and the same presentation a
    >> > couple of times the weeks before the IETF.  Are there other things >
    >> we could do? See https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/104/newcomers/ >
    >> and
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-edu-sesse-newcomers-overview-for-ietf-104-00
    >>
    >> Mostly, it not the newcomers that need help being nice to newcomers..
    >> They need training on having appropriately thick skins.

    > Please read the 3rd paragraph at
    > https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/starting/ If you
    > think that summary (which I drafted some years ago) is wrong, somebody
    > in the EMO directorate can presumably get it updated.

This paragraph:

} The IETF is normally very welcoming to newcomers, and tolerance is the
} rule. The technical level is quite high, so if you write something that turns
} out to be wrong, you may get some quite frank replies. Or sometimes you will
} get a reply from someone whose first language is not English, and they can be
} rude without intending it. (If someone is seriously offensive, the WG Chairs
} are supposed to deal with it.) Don't be discouraged; everybody started as a
} newcomer.

Some examples might be worthwhile.

For example: "Je demande" in french is properly translated as "I ask", but
it could be translated literally as "I demand", which is significantly more
hostile.