Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

Hi, Tom,

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 12:26 PM tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I might offer "fascinating", in addition to "interesting".

Multiple recent IESGs I've served on suggested to incoming ADs that
questions in comments, especially in Discusses (for documents) and
Blocks (for charters) were less confrontational than statements, based
on the responses sitting ADs had seen to those questions and
statements.

But here's the fascinating part - ADs on those IESGs know what authors
and editors said in responses in ballot e-mail threads, but we didn't
know what authors, editors, and working group participants were
THINKING when they saw our questions and statements. If the
understanding past IESGs had was misleading because we didn't hear
from the people who reacted badly to our questions, I'd bet the
current IESG and future IESGs would find that useful to know (as the
current IESG prepares its ballots for its first telechat after IETF
104).

You and I, both being Westerners, are trying to do the right thing
based on our conflicting experiences, and we might have reached the
point where asking non-Westerners for their opinions about this is the
Right Thing To Do ...

Thanks for the insight.

Spencer