Re: voting rights in general

On 3/24/2019 9:01 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Mar 24, 2019, at 1:58 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have never held any official IETF position and I have been able to participate in WG activities just fine.

Yes, but you have no say in IETF leadership.

People keep repeating this statement, but it isn't true.  In the 30 some odd years that we've been using a nomcom, I've been a voting member twice.  I however have contributed commentary on candidates, lobbied quietly and not so quietly for and against both candidates and incumbents, and generally made a nuisance of myself in another 10 or so Nomcoms.  I would suggest to you that I think I've had a lot more impact on the selections when I wasn't on the Nomcom than when I was.

The key thing here is that BOTH require you have some physical presence at the meetings - you really can't make the contacts, form the opinions, express the opinions, twist arms,  etc unless you can sit down and have a meal, a beer, an argument, a joke - all things that are still difficult to do  via just an on-line interaction.

That said, EVERYONE who participates in the IETF, whether at the meeting, remotely, or only by WG mailing list, helps to form and change the culture of the IETF, and in turn helps to shape the holes into which we plug the leadership.  It may not be anything as direct as a vote, but make no mistake: anyone who wants to can have a say in what the IETF leadership is or will be.   So keep nominating people, commenting on candidates, and talking about what you think the IETF should be.

Later, Mike