Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On 3/5/18 2:17 PM, Mary B wrote:
And, just to add to this, if we really are having or have had the problems that the other groups did, then we should be discussing that openly rather than hiding under the guise of people not wanting to be photographed and being intimidated by whomever (it wasn't really clear to me exactly what folks were worried about).  So, this actually gets us back to basic IETF process - what problem are you trying to solve?

I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but previous iterations of it might have been lost in the shouting. I'll try to lay it out my understanding of the facts and rationale that drove this:

  1. The ISOC has a professional photographer who takes pictures at IETF meetings.
  2. Following an incident in which an individual wanted control over the use of an image taken by the hired photographer, it became evident that we need some way for attendees to indicate to the ISOC photographer that they don't want their picture taken.
  3. In order to be effective, all attendees need to know what the indication is so they can choose whether to display it.
  4. If someone is wearing a clear indication that they don't want to be photographed  -- one that you are necessarily aware of due to the above point -- and you, even as an amateur photographer, do anyway, then you're an ass.
  5. Don't be an ass.

That's kind of the core problem. I don't claim it's the only one, but it's my understanding of how we got where we are today.

/a