Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am also not sure if a policy like this can be effectively implemented.  I worry that some might see the "do-not-photograph” label as the opposite of what it is intended to mean.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but a number of other communities have implemented these policies and found they work well (by which I meant that people generally conform and it's not that hard to deal with people who don't). So, at this point I think general skepticism is a bit misplaced. Do you have some specific reason for believing that the IETF will be different?

I infer that some who asked for this see having their picture taken as a form harassment.  Harassment is clearly unacceptable in the IETF, but if that is the case here, I think it would be better to deal directly with it as harassment.  I believe we already have a policy relating to harassment.

I'm not sure I can add anything to what others have already said, but I'll try anyway. There are people who prefer not to be photographed but feel uncomfortable if they have to directly ask every person who might potentially photograph them not do so so. I think Alissa said this explicitly in her note. These aren't cases of harassment but of giving people who have that preference a way to signal that and establishing the norm that people will respect that preference. Now, if someone deliberately ignores others preferences, then at some point it might rise to the level of harassment, and as you say, we should deal with that directly, and that's a matter for the ombudsteam, which is what the policy says.

-Ekr