Re: Food Rants (was: Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership)

Did you read my document?  It does exactly what you're suggesting to address your somments at the end of your email and is why it has the format it does rather than the simpler one you should have in your previous email. I wrote it 10 years ago after the Dublin meeting where we were stuck at a country golf resort and the only lunch option was a buffer of random food, whereas I had done my homework over the weekend and found that the hotel restaurants could accommodate restrictions only to find that on Monday lunch, you could NOT order from a menu.  I've updated the document a few times. So, yes, I have tried and tried and tried - the fact that I couldn't get staff to arrange food so veggies were covered with cookie crumbs is a fantastic of the level of failure.    You can find these same discussions over and over in the archives.   You are not bringing up any new points.   We have made some progress, but again where this topic ended up in terms of priority in the meeting venue document means that I have failed as considering this issue can be traded against having a place for people to meet socially - i.e., if a venue has a nice, large bar with cheap beer that can easily be traded against whether there is food that can be obtained at the venue, etc.

The fact that we have had successful meetings where the food requirements happened to be met quite well means your point around having to compromise isn't really valid.  We've done it well by chance before, so if we plan we should easily be able to do it properly.

Regards,
Mary.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mary,

> BTW, your mocking of this situation for medical conditions is inline with
> mocking someone that uses a wheelchair or is deaf, etc.

Please point me to a place where you think i did that. I specifically did
NOT intend to do anything like that, but maybe something i wrote
could be misconstrued to read that way and then i would like to know which
so i can improve in the future in my writing.

I did mock indirectly lifestyle choices, but primarily because as in the case
of airline food it caused constraints to those with other lifestyle choices
like me. Knowing from friends with medical gluten intolerance some of those
lifestyle choicers are actually quite useful for folks like them with actual
medical conditions, so that lifestyle mocking is really only friendly mocking.

Wrt to compromising what to eat, this naturally comes when going to foreign
places, and one has to reccognize that a conference already has to fight
against that base level to make it easier to collaborate internationally,
so i would really opt to differentiate in expectation settings for medical
vs. lifestyle and how much IETF should work on either.

If you read further below into my mail, i was suggesting to come up
at last with some written up guidance for food to venues and circulate
that early enough with the venue. Including a classes of food required.
Has that been tried ?

Cheers
    Toerless

--