Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

On 3/2/18 7:05 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> IETF does not even offer a way to voluntarily publish face pictures
> unless you're in leadership or WG chair, and now with this whole thread,
> it just becomes another instance of "the terrorists always win". How about
> trying to support also the sensibilities of face recognition challenged
> attendees like myself and offering a voluntary option to publish face
> pictures for attendees ?

I think that's an excellent idea and deserves its own thread.
Certainly, back in the day Usenix had the "facesaver" project and
directory and it was fairly popular.  I do think that it
wouldn't need to be an IETF project, per se - if someone wants
to they can just set up a web page and ask folks on mailing lists
to send their photos.  Or they can hold opt-in portrait sessions
during meetings (which is what Usenix did).

That said, I agree with those who think that setting cultural
norms and making it easier for people who don't want their
photo taken to avoid it would make IETF meetings more
comfortable, without a lot of downside (other than this
discussion ... ).

Melinda

[*] facesaver archive here:
http://www.toad.com/facesaver/loukatz/html/index-0f.html