Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

Toerless, it seems to me that the current proposed policy already does what you want.   You can take pictures of anyone who consents to have their picture taken.   Those people who don't consent, well, you wouldn't want to have taken their picture without their consent, would you?   Now you know who you can photograph and who you can't.   This is much better than the company facebook problem you mentioned.

I have the opposite problem—I remember people by their face, and I independently remember peoples' names from email, but tying the two together is not automatic for me—it requires serious effort.   So facebooks are also really helpful to me.

But my need in this regard does not trump other IETF participants' right to withhold consent to photograph.  Most IETFers I can find on LinkedIn or Facebook; the ones who do not want their faces online, I can't find, and I just have to remember their names the old fashioned way, or call them "hey you."

Occasional awkward conversations ensue when someone recognizes me in person and starts talking about an email conversation we've been having.   I know this person by their face, and have an entire history with that face, but that history is not connected to the email conversation, and so I draw a blank.   It's awkward.   I deal with it.   Life isn't always free of awkwardness.