Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

On Mar 2, 2018, at 3:07 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One of the aspects that concerns me about the policy is that it seems to allow our leadership to require that their images be removed from pictures of them doing their job.

I don't understand the motivation for this proposal, and it has clear downsides in terms of discouraging participation by people who wish not to be photographed.

Why should being a leader require you to have your picture publicly posted? Your appearance isn't any necessary part of the leadership function.

Taking a position of leadership and speaking ex cathedra on behalf of the IETF/IAB are public tasks. I don’t think it would be an unreasonable condition of appointment to require consent to unobtrusive professional photography.

These are not merely technical posts.

Joe