Re: So do both [was Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?]

On 27 September 2017 at 17:22, tom p. <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Kerwin" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:21 PM

> On 27 Sep. 2017 5:39 am, "Brian E Carpenter"
​ ​
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
​ ​
wrote:

> So why don't we, the Internet standards people who believe in rough
> consensus and running code, request the RFC Editor (a friend of ours)
> to supply two text versions of each RFC, like
>
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.txt   as today, with BOM if
relevant
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.ut8   containing pure UTF-8
with no
> BOM ever
>

>  It would be prudent to also include a Content-Disposition header with
an
> appropriate 'filename' parameter, since browsers tend to name all
> downloaded text/plain files as .txt irrespective of the URL.
>
> Not sure if this is bike-shedding or rat-holing.

Matthew

Where in the FTP protocol do I see a Content-Disposition header?

​Probably the same place in it says you can use FTP to download https URLs.  But the question of ftp/rsync/other more direct (non-http) methods of accessing the repository was why I was asking earlier about the behind-the-curtain storage.  If they all serve from the same directory on the server, then it'd be best to have renamed/duplicate files (and appropriate httpd configuration for serving them);  if they're in different places then there may be other/better options.​

I always use FTP to download RFC because it  (or at least my version
thereof) preserves the metadata whereas my HTTP client (Internet
Explorer) always mangles it.

​Oh aye, that's always been part of my argument.  The tools aren't great, the filesystems aren't great, nothing is great.  If they were, there wouldn't be a problem.​

Do both sounds like an excellent idea!

​Indeed, that's why I wrote "also".  The more annoying holes we patch over, the fewer people are likely to slip through one of them.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/