Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

Look, i don't want to get into a long exchange about this.   I agree with Carsten: keeping the BOM is a past-looking choice, not a forward-looking choice, and it does cause problems.   It's absurd to think that the people who will be reading these documents in their downloaded form will not be technically competent to sort this out if issues arise.   But honestly, I don't care that much—it's crazy to use the ASCII or UTF-8 version of the document anyway, and if you do, you should expect to lose.