Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On Sep 18, 2017, at 4:35 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:
Concrete example: a system text editor that defaults to the system encoding (for historic reasons). Are you saying it's buggy when it continues to do so?

No, the system that doesn't have UTF-8 as its default encoding is buggy.   Now, at this present time.   If you are still running Windows XP and you see some artifacts when interacting with the modern Internet, that's not our problem.

The paragraph I quoted simply says that UTF-8 BOM isn't useful or recommended.   So it's agreeing with Carsten, and I guess with me.   If we disagree with the consortium on this, that's okay, but we ought to have a really good reason for disagreeing.