Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On 2017-09-18 19:50, Adam Roach wrote:
On 9/18/17 1:43 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
The problems caused by BOM pollution were already well understood at the time when the various standards around UTF-8 were written.  ...  RFC 3629 has a whole section denouncing it.

You refer to section 6? <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3629#section-6> Denunciation seems like a pretty severe mischaracterization. I think the verb you were looking for is "endorsing."

Let's look at the actual guidance (ignoring for the moment that it's talking about protocol design rather than archival documents):

   o  A protocol SHOULD forbid use of U+FEFF as a signature for those
      textual protocol elements that the protocol mandates to be always
      UTF-8, the signature function being totally useless in those
      cases.

Well, *that's* not us, since we demonstrably have a mix of ASCII and UTF-8 documents. (And, on the protocol level, servers that serve up RFCs can certainly have a mix of these and other encodings)

Well, any text file encoded in US-ASCII by definition is also encoded in UTF-8.

I believe a better argument is that we do not control the tools that people use to read plain text RFCs, and that we found that some important ones simply work better with the BOM.

   o  A protocol SHOULD also forbid use of U+FEFF as a signature for
      those textual protocol elements for which the protocol provides
      character encoding identification mechanisms, when it is expected
      that implementations of the protocol will be in a position to
      always use the mechanisms properly.  This will be the case when
      the protocol elements are maintained tightly under the control of
      the implementation from the time of their creation to the time of
      their (properly labeled) transmission.

Given that these things are replicated all over the place and metadata (such as character encoding) are typically not part of that replication, this also seems inapplicable.

Right.

   o  A protocol SHOULD NOT forbid use of U+FEFF as a signature for
      those textual protocol elements for which the protocol does not
      provide character encoding identification mechanisms, when a ban
      would be unenforceable, or when it is expected that
      implementations of the protocol will not be in a position to
      always use the mechanisms properly.  The latter two cases are
      likely to occur with larger protocol elements such as MIME
      entities, especially when implementations of the protocol will
      obtain such entities from file systems, from protocols that do not
      have encoding identification mechanisms for payloads (such as FTP)
      or from other protocols that do not guarantee proper
      identification of character encoding (such as HTTP).

Oh. OH! There it is. It even calls out FTP and HTTP as the poster children for "SHOULD NOT forbid", and I suspect that we're well past 99% of all RFC access being over those two protocols (with the vast majority being HTTP).

We did a lot of hashing over of this issue on the rfc-design team (and I even started out where you are now, advocating against a BOM). While I concede that there is no perfect solution, the "pro" column for using BOMs ended up being far more compelling than the "con" column.

That's my recollection as well.

Even if we find the philosophical arguments to be a draw, this single practical argument is what convinced me that not including a BOM would be a solid request for failure: