Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On 9/18/17 17:15, Ted Hardie wrote:
Most of the text in RFC 3629 seems still on the mark, not that I'm an expert, but if we take it to be true, it has some advice.  That says that you should forbid the use of U+FEFF as a signature when you have character encoding identification mechanisms, and that you can retain it otherwise.  What do we think the case is here?

Given that these frequently end up on filesystems without metadata indicating their character encoding, I think it's pretty clearly the second case.

/a