Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On 9/18/17 17:20, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 18, 2017, at 6:18 PM, Adam Roach <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given that these frequently end up on filesystems without metadata indicating their character encoding, I think it's pretty clearly the second case.

That would be a bug in the thing that did the download, wouldn't it?   IOW, not our problem?

Unless you know something about NTFS, ext4, HFS, and exFAT that I don't, this sort of information isn't generally part of file metadata at all.

/a