Re: BOM-free tests [was Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?]

On UNIX/Linux, if I set my LANG environmental variable to 'en_US.UTF-8', tools work. 'more' starts the files off with a weird character. I can not find another tool that fails in any way.

If I set LANG to 'C' (the default), many tools display strange characters with they encounter non-ASCII.

I had set my LANG to UTF-8 years ago when playing with calsch files, and would recommend that everyone change to UTF-8 on UNIX/linux.

I do not even own a Microsoft box, if I did, I would try cygwin, or mingw on that OS.

--

Doug Royer - (http://DougRoyer.US  http://goo.gl/yrxJTu )
DouglasRoyer@xxxxxxxxx