Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

In message <30708801-142F-47C5-A154-15E9D3C5068D@xxxxxxxxx>, Ted Lemon writes:

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 1:57 PM, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What she doesn't mention is that there is a way to detect DNS64, so in
> principle a validating stub resolver can do DNS64 itself _post
> validation_.
>
> Oops, actually she did mention that in the last paragraphâ??sorry!

You have to detect it and work around it.

NAT64 start out with the claim "You don't have to touch the node".

Now you have complicated CLAT and DNSSEC changes required in every
node in the internet to support NAT64 with more breakage than simple
tunneling and a NAT44 protocol translation in DS-Lite.  What's the
next workaround that will have to be deployed because NAT64 is being
used instead of NAT44 at the end of the tunnel?

CLAT and DNSSEC changes are required on every node as they will end
up on IPv6-only networks.  DS-Lite also requires changes on every
node on IPv6-only networks but they are much less intrusive.

We have created Frankenstein's monster here with NAT64.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx