De: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> en nombre de <mohamed.boucadair@xxxxxxxxxx>
Responder a: <mohamed.boucadair@xxxxxxxxxx>
Fecha: martes, 1 de agosto de 2017, 8:07
Para: "jordi.palet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jordi.palet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ietf@xxxxxxxx" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Asunto: RE: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

    Hi Jordi,

    Please see inline.

    Cheers,
    Med

    [Med] This may be misinterpreted as there is a dependency of NAT64 on DNS. This is not technically true. This was clarified in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6889

[Jordi] Right, I was not pretending to be technically perfect, but introducing when NAT64 fails in our network.

       This approach is pragmatic in the sense that there is no dependency
       on DNS implementation for the successful NAT handling.  As long as
       there is a function (e.g., DNS64 [RFC6147] or other means) that can
       construct an IPv6-embedded IPv4 address with a pre-configured IPv6
       prefix, an IPv4 address and a suffix (refer to [RFC6052]), NAT64 will
       work just fine.

    FWIW, there are even NAT64 deployments that do not even rely on DNS64.

[Jordi] Agree, we can talk about “DNS64 function” instead of DNS64. Again, in our IETF network there is a DNS64, so not the issue here.

    > We realized then that app/devices vendors are lazy, or just they are out
    > of the market, so we invented 464XLAT, which uses the same concept as
    > NAT64/DNS64, but improves it by using the CLAT, a small daemon code in the
    > OS or the CPE to solve the problems of the literal addresses and non-APIs
    > apps/devices.
    >
    > We don’t need to tell the customers to disable IPv4 in their LANs, we need
    > to make sure that we deploy CPEs that support CLAT.

    [Med] Is there any CPE-based 464xlat deployment out there?

[Jordi] I’ve identified 4 vendors up to now, with different products each. I’m sure there are more. I also know that other vendors did the development for specific customers and I’m also aware of other customers that asked for it. We have also the open source implementations, such as OpenWRT, supporting thousands of devices. Precisely this is my point. As IETF, our work is not just inventing transitions mechanism, but also making sure that if we state a set of requirements for CPEs, we include the support for those transition mechanisms.

     This way, users don’t
    > need to throw away old devices or apps, neither learn anything about IPv4
    > or IPv6, and everybody is happy.
    >
    > We are trying to solve a problem with NAT64 which we knew since it was
    > invented that it can’t be solved. We don’t have the time (unless some
    > magic is discovered) to now tell every ISP that is deploying IPv6 and
    > NAT64, to instead of NAT64 have something different.

    [Med] These operators (with CPEs) are already doing something *different*: DS-Lite and the like. NAT64 is widely deployed in cellular networks (host-based model), which is really straightforward.

[Jordi] I agree, but if you have a network with cellular and wireline access, you may want to have a single transition mechanisms instead of two. If we don’t want to use NAT64 in wireline, then why we are trying to push it as the default SSID in our IETF network? It is a matter of preference of one or another transition mechanisms. All them have good and bad things. I see much simpler the combination of NAT64+CLAT than DS-Lite or MAP, in addition to the ONLY support in cellular networks is precisely NAT64/464XLAT, which means is the MOST extended transition mechanism by millions (billions?) of users. It makes a lot of sense to me to go in all the infrastructures to the one that has more deployment already.

     The solution is
    > there, if CPE vendors implement it, and we are talking about an available
    > open source code (several implementations) that take a few bytes.
    >
    > We are already doing this effort in v6ops, I started trying to tell the
    > RFC7084 about the need to update it, but didn’t succeeded. It seems that
    > now we may want to have instead of a CPE requirements including this, an
    > additional document to be a must for CPE vendors to support it, in case
    > the CPE expects “IPv4 old devices and apps” in the LANs (which is real
    > world life, and will be for 3-5 years).

    [Med] I'm afraid we don't need it. The IETF already specified tools to address that case (DS-Lite, MAP-E).

[Jordi] I guess no need to repeat myself …