Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

You said:

> Brian, why on earth would we want to advertise IPv6 to IETF
> attendees?  We invented IPv6.  If we really can't run a v6-only
> network at IETF, what that says is that we have failed utterly and
> expensively.  I do not believe that this is correct: IPv6 works very
> well.

Putting on my naive end-user hat:

That might be true, but here is the thing: "The mission of the IETF is
to make the INTERNET work better..." (my emphasis)

For at least a decade now, I've been told that I should "just use
IPv6" and some conferences have even "forced" me to do so.

I always respond with this question: "Does running IPv6 allow me to
connect to the Internet?" (meaning the v4 Internet for the most part).
The answer always seems to be: "Yes, but you have to manually
configure this and, oh by the way, this won't work at all and that app
might not behave as expected."

Demonstrating this to people who are experts seems like a waste
of time.

So it sounds to me like we HAVE indeed failed utterly and expensively.
99% of Internet users do not have any idea what version of IP they are
running just as they have no idea what a MAC address is or why/if they
should care.

I'd love to see IPv6 succeed, but it is apparently impossible to do so
without teaching end-users a lot of stuff they really have no interest
in or ability to learn. What a shame.

Ole