RE: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

Hi Jordi,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] This may be misinterpreted as there is a dependency of NAT64 on DNS. This is not technically true. This was clarified in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6889

   This approach is pragmatic in the sense that there is no dependency
   on DNS implementation for the successful NAT handling.  As long as
   there is a function (e.g., DNS64 [RFC6147] or other means) that can
   construct an IPv6-embedded IPv4 address with a pre-configured IPv6
   prefix, an IPv4 address and a suffix (refer to [RFC6052]), NAT64 will
   work just fine.

FWIW, there are even NAT64 deployments that do not even rely on DNS64.

> We realized then that app/devices vendors are lazy, or just they are out
> of the market, so we invented 464XLAT, which uses the same concept as
> NAT64/DNS64, but improves it by using the CLAT, a small daemon code in the
> OS or the CPE to solve the problems of the literal addresses and non-APIs
> apps/devices.
>
> We don’t need to tell the customers to disable IPv4 in their LANs, we need
> to make sure that we deploy CPEs that support CLAT.

[Med] Is there any CPE-based 464xlat deployment out there?

 This way, users don’t
> need to throw away old devices or apps, neither learn anything about IPv4
> or IPv6, and everybody is happy.
>
> We are trying to solve a problem with NAT64 which we knew since it was
> invented that it can’t be solved. We don’t have the time (unless some
> magic is discovered) to now tell every ISP that is deploying IPv6 and
> NAT64, to instead of NAT64 have something different.

[Med] These operators (with CPEs) are already doing something *different*: DS-Lite and the like. NAT64 is widely deployed in cellular networks (host-based model), which is really straightforward.

 The solution is
> there, if CPE vendors implement it, and we are talking about an available
> open source code (several implementations) that take a few bytes.
>
> We are already doing this effort in v6ops, I started trying to tell the
> RFC7084 about the need to update it, but didn’t succeeded. It seems that
> now we may want to have instead of a CPE requirements including this, an
> additional document to be a must for CPE vendors to support it, in case
> the CPE expects “IPv4 old devices and apps” in the LANs (which is real
> world life, and will be for 3-5 years).

[Med] I'm afraid we don't need it. The IETF already specified tools to address that case (DS-Lite, MAP-E).