Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

[ btw, the $subject is broken.  the ipv6only ssid is global ipv6 not
  nat64, which has its own ssid ]

> The IETF network is always going to have enough IPv4 addresses for
> every user.  Hence, it is _never_ going to be better for IETF users to
> use an IPv6-only network

as/if the global net becomes mostly v6, this will change.  or so we
hope.

> because the main feature of IPv6 is end-to-end

i suspect most folk believe the main feature is gaurab's dictum, "96
more bits, no magic."

and i suspect that ipv6 will be about as e2e as ipv4; maybe less so if
things such as nat64 are the transition rather than dual stack.  (yes,
dual stack is not realistic given 2^32 is a bit less than 2^128 or even
2^64 or whatever.  get in your time machine and tell that to the ipv6
architects back in 1990.)

> if you are still v4-privileged, you have end-to-end with v4, unlike
> the rest of the world.

perhaps have a look & listen to philipp's talk at irtfopen99
https://youtu.be/JRneMj7LX8U?list=PLC86T-6ZTP5jdbiwi5ggLNnwLn1-r0M4h&t=637
it's a cgn tragedy out there, especially in mobile which rules most of
the world.

it would be interesting to know/measure what proportion of connections
are actually e2e on v4 and v6.  and i am not interested in measures on
facebook, google, root servers, etc.  i am a backbone kinda guy.  the
ipv6 statistic that finally impressed me was when the seattle internet
exchange (about the 20th largest ix) crossed 10% ipv6 last month.

but what we can affect is what we do in the ietf.  and there are a whole
lot of our siblings deliberately breaking e2e.

randy