Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017, Randy Bush wrote:

The point is that we claim that we have produced something that will
Just Work for the average user.  If you really think you can't "get
work done" on an IPv6-only network with working and functional
transition tech, we have a problem.

bingo!  you are right.  we have a problem.  nat64/dns64 breaks things
people use.  this is known, documented, and extremely annoying this many
years out [0].

the question is how to progress fixing nat64/dns64, given that a lot of
folk come to ietf meetings to simply get work done and not debug a semi-
working transport.  how about a bug bounty?  and maybe a fix bounty a
few times larger!

There is nothing inherently broken with NAT64+DNS64+CLAT (or something like iOS has with bump-in-the-API).

Android has CLAT. iOS has its bump-in-the-API.

Win10 doesn't have any of this (the adviced CLAT is on WWAN only and mobile only). MacOS has bump-in-the-API for devices that use those APIs, which a lot doesn't. Anything uses the socket API doesn't get this. Linux doesn't have this out of the box afaik.

So there is nothing to be fixed for NAT64+DNS64, what needs to be fixed is that these operating systems need to support v4 literals through NAT64 by some kind of mechanism. Android does. iOS does. Nothing else does.

This is already well known. This "experiment" being proposed is in my mind useless because the outcome is already known. I connected a Win10 box to my NAT64+DNS64 experimental network two days ago to re-verify, and there were plenty of things that didn't work. Windows update doesn't think it's connected to the Internet. Steam won't even start.

Or is the objective of the experiment to have people from the operating system vendors discover that their operating systems has problems and that this discovery would make them fix these problems?

I emailed people at Microsoft about my 464XLAT findings. That resulted in me being told that the blog post would be updated and that a discussion would be had regarding that 464XLAT functionality perhaps coming to more generic use cases. I have already told people from Apples networking stack development team about my problems with NAT64+DNS64 and my VMs and also things using the socket API.

It seems a lot easier to just reach out to the OS vendors and tell them, than to try to use the painful detour of showing already known breakage on the IETF wifi for everybody to discover, most of who can do nothing about it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx