Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

Hi Ted,

On 29/07/17 17:54, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Right, so known_hosts is broken, because it remembers IP addresses.

I don't think that's likely to be a statement on which everyone agrees.

> This is something that ought to get fixed, not persisted.   Imagine
> how this feature interacts with the private service discovery feature
> that is being worked on in dnssd, when the host being connected to
> does IP address privacy.
>
> I want _you_ in particular to use IPv6+nat64 because it will show you
> where some of the implementations of software that you currently use
> are broken, and then (I hope) you will get on board with trying to
> get them fixed.   That's the value proposition.

See below, but I think value proposition is the wrong term above.

>  OpenVPN has known
> about their IPv6 brokenness for about four years, and they still
> haven't done anything about it.

I've used openvpn quite successfully in order to get IPv6 so I'm
not sure what brokenness you mean. (No, not for lots of traffic,
but it worked.)

>> One other note: if there were a perceived benefit for the folks
>> opting-in that'd help your cause I think. "You can help us all make
>> this better" is not a sufficiently direct benefit to attract that
>> many dogfood eaters IMO.

> Right, that's why the "opt out" rather than "opt in" proposal.
> We've had "opt in" since two Berlins ago, and we just don't get a lot
> of people trying the "opt in" network.   The value proposition is
> pretty obvious to me: we get to see how many people opt out.

I don't think you got what I meant. Being able to opt-in to fixing
other people's bugs is not a value proposition that'll resonate. And
being opted-in and having to opt-out will only generate rancour.

Last time, with DPRIVE I got my DNS queries encrypted for at least
one hop, so that's a win, albeit a very very minor win, even for people
who know about it and care.

Fixing other people's bugs is frankly not in itself motivating.
Even moreso if we don't agree on which behaviours are bugs or
features;-)

So my question to you was really "what gets better for me if I use
that SSID?" If the answer is "things get worse" then yes you will
continue to have issues attracting people to try it, and so long as
that remains the answer it'll never be ready to be the default.

So I think this is very far from sufficient to justify an opt-out.

Cheers,
S.