Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

On 14/09/2010 18:58, Michael Dillon wrote:
> Even in Dublin and Maastricht there were
> "restaurant" districts nearby for those with vehicles. If the hosts or the
> IETF had operated a 15 min. shuttle service to the restaurant districts
> from 12 noon to 12 midnight, that would likely have resolved most if
> not all of the complaints about restaurants.

Well, one of the things that I liked about Maastricht was that every
attendee got a free pass for the entire city bus system.  Busses left in
front of the building, about once every 10 minutes from +/- 6am to
+/- 11pm, and got you to the downtown area in about 10-15 minutes.
Density of bus stops in the downtown area is such that most restaurants
are within a few minutes walk of a bus stop.  I used it a couple of times
and it just worked fine.  I'm not sure how a shuttle bus could have
improved on this.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746