Re: [Tools-discuss] drafting tools, was messaging formatting follies

I have a tool that converts from Word to XML2RFC.

It also accepts Markdown and you can compose drafts in a mixture of the two which is what I almost always do because examples are easiest to output in Markdown, meitting XML or Word is painful. Word provides the spelling and grammar checking which I need due to my dyslexia.

It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and is a self contained line mode tool.

It outputs HTML, Markdown, Word or if you want to submit as an ID, XML2RFC.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 4:04 PM John R. Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2023, Keith Moore wrote:
> [I still have this idea that people should be able to submit internet-drafts
> in HTML, such as can be produced by any word processor these days, with a few
> hacks to include the necessary metadata, and a few heuristics to allow good
> quality xml2rfc to be reliably produced from the HTML source input.

I agree that it would be nice to have easier ways to author I-Ds, but
considering what tools people use these days, a translator from MS Word .docx
or whatever you can get from Google Docs would likely get a lot more use.

You can tell Word to export HTML, but it's pretty funky HTML.  Better to
go direct.

Which is what my tool does.

Now *in theory* it should be able to read a published HTML RFC and use that as source. But it is like five years since I tried.

If there was demand for HTML source, it would be very easy to add.

Oh and since pretty much every word processor on the market will write out documents in MS Word docx format, you can use OpenOffice or pretty much anything you like.