Re: the introduction problem, was Email and reputation (was Re: Service outages planned for April 25)

On 5/3/22 09:34, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

Yes, that's the basic conundrum.  Real investment looks unlikely,
unless someone at Apple Microsoft, or a company behind the ever
future popular Linux desktop successfully champions a cause with
no clear $$ payoff...  And ditto for iOS and Android.

Will users flock to a platform which offers usable E2E encrypte
email?  Will received encrypted email be "portable" between devices?

Bottom line, I see usable E2E email encryption as a platonic ideal,
the world we live in is far too messy for its realisation.

I miss the days when IETF tried to make the Internet better, and saw that as its purpose, rather than just trying to provide cover for Big Companies seeking to avoid antitrust actions.

A tiny fraction of users will put up with the hassle of S/MIME and
PGP for a small fraction of their email traffic, and not much looks
likely change that for the foreseeable future.

i.e. erect a cheap and simple "somebody else's problem" field around it and the problem appears to go away.

Keith