Re: the introduction problem, was Email and reputation (was Re: Service outages planned for April 25)

On 5/2/22 09:20, John R Levine wrote:

We have several decades of S/MIME and PGP failing because nobody knows how to do key distribution at scale.

I'm not convinced that that's the (only or even most important) reason, or that it's even true.   From my perspective there have been several barriers to adopting S/MIME and/or PGPMIME, e.g. lack of MUA support, lack of email domain CAs and support for them among root CAs, lack of a well known and trusted set of root CAs such as exist for the web (it's not clear that they should should be the same set), lack of a standard key discovery mechanism, and (mostly I suspect) lack of mindshare.

When there are multiple barriers to solving a problem, any one of those problems can become an excuse to avoid solving the other problems.

But it seems likely that enterprises could issue email-only certs for their employees, and MSPs could issue email-only certs for their customers.   There are limitations with that model, especially for private individuals.   But such a model could be extremely useful for B2B communications, where what you really want to authenticate is not the sender's "real name" so much as the sender's role with a company.   And it could be useful for others also, though not for every conceivable purpose.

The biggest problem in generating such certs is arguably that there are no established protocols for MUAs to generate keypairs and CSRs, and to have them request that the MSP issue certs in response.   There might also need to be some new extensions to X.509.   Having the MSP act as CA makes sense when the important identity for the user being authenticated is their email address and not their name.   Certificates used in email need to reflect that (perhaps SAN already does that sufficiently), and - more importantly - so do the UIs of the MUAs that interpret those certificates.   "Keith Moore" is NOT the same as moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it's important that MUAs not conflate the two.   (MUAs are already notorious for hiding people's email addresses from message recipients, by default, whether to save display space or out of some misguided notion of usability.)

Even if MUAs had a way to generate keypairs and CSRs and get certs back, many people read their mail from multiple MUAs.   So that needs to be managed.   Either each user's MUA has a separate key pair, or there needs to be a secure way to distribute the user's private key to all of the user's MUAs.   I know which one I'd prefer, but either way there are details to be worked out.

Of course a "3rd party" cert issued by a trustworthy but neutral CA could be useful in addition to these, especially for mail sent by or to private individuals.    But email is not like the public web.   The model of having a small set of trusted CAs for the web doesn't extend well to signing keys used in email from or to private individuals.   I used to say that I'd never trust the US Government's certificate for Phil Zimmerman's key.  (nowdays I'd probably say Edward Snowden's key, but you get the idea).  There is no one party or even hierarchy that is sufficiently trustworthy for all purposes.   There are incentives for even widely-trusted CAs to occasionally lie about the keys for a small number of specific individuals, and less chance that they'd get caught doing so when those keys are used in private email than when used on the public web.   One party might well want multiple assurances of another's public key before trusting that key, but this needs to be made clear in their user interface.

User interface issues seem like some of the more significant problems because (for example) it really does make sense for the President's secretary to sign an email from the President.  How do you communicate to users who has the authority to sign something for purpose A but not purpose B?  And yet, humans have been doing similar things with signatures on paper for many centuries.   I don't think it's an unsolvable problem unless perhaps you want to cram all of that information on a watch face.

Then there are questions of how encrypted or signed email should interact with forwarding and/or mailing lists.   Should encrypted mail sent to a mailing list be decrypted by the list and re-encrypted for each recipient?   How, again, to communicate to the sender that their message is going to a list and that it's entirely up to the list to decide how to disseminate the cleartext?   Should the sender be made aware of that before composing or at least sending the message?

And then there's the problem of searching encrypted mail in a mail store, when you'd like to be able to store the messages as received rather than having them be stored in cleartext and accessible to the MSP.   Some users, perhaps, will be fine with having their messages stored in cleartext; others will not.

And finally there are the various enemies of privacy who will fight any effort to make email more secure, no matter how badly it's needed.   And they won't be honest about either their concerns or their goals.

***

So I see a lot of careful engineering that's needed, and a lot of user interface work (which is admittedly problematic for IETF), and probably some hard political work by honest people to overcome the efforts of dishonest people who will try to subvert it (whether or not they believe they're doing good).

But I don't think there are fundamentally unsolvable technical problems, so much as problems that make people uncomfortable - because there's no simple system that spans a wide enough range of compromises to suit everyone.   But that doesn't mean that there's no system that doesn't solve most people's problems.

Keith