Re: Service outages planned for April 25

On 4/28/22 07:27, Carsten Bormann wrote:

While large players can create problems, the problem is certainly not limited to one "large player".   Why, for example, do "players" of any size feel the need to manually maintain lists of IP addresses of any color?
Because this appears to them to be a viable strategy for mitigating a fundamentally (outside FUSSP) unsolvable problem.

Or because they don't have better tools.   Or if better tools exist, they're not widely or uniformly used by senders.

Also, why should it be a dark art to have legitimate email successfully delivered?

And "failed to create an economic and regulatory environment" also sounds like presuming a solution that conveniently makes it "somebody else's problem" so that we have an excuse to ignore it.
Anticipating that (valid) criticism, I actually asked the question that actually would be relevant to us.
(As I said, this will not be solved on ietf@xxxxxxxx, so please don’t answer it here.)

Another example of how IETF institutional culture promotes denial.   Apparently we can't have discussions in the open; we must instead bury them so that the status quo will be perpetuated.

We're supposed to be an engineering organization.  Responsible engineers admit when there's a problem with their creations and look for ways to solve those problems, not ways to pass the buck.  (Granted there are some things that are out of IETF's scope and it's important to keep IETF's scope in mind. )

Keith