Re: Service outages planned for April 25

On 4/28/22 07:04, Carsten Bormann wrote:

I can't help but notice that the fact that it was necessary at all is a sign that email interoperates poorly in practice,
We knew that :-)
Not sure who you mean by "we".   Based on some past conversations on email lists, I have the impression that denial is widespread and there's a stubborn insistence on maintaining the broken status quo.  But I readily admit that it's been difficult in the past to have constructive discussions on the topic.
and a sign that IETF has failed to maintain the email protocols to keep them interoperable.
FTFY:

and a sign that IETF has failed to create an economic and regulatory environment for email that doesn’t make it viable for a large player to optimize their own convenience at the detriment of interoperability with others.
While large players can create problems, the problem is certainly not limited to one "large player".   Why, for example, do "players" of any size feel the need to manually maintain lists of IP addresses of any color?

And "failed to create an economic and regulatory environment" also sounds like presuming a solution that conveniently makes it "somebody else's problem" so that we have an excuse to ignore it.

Keith